As Mother’s Day approaches this Sunday, many of us will be looking for a special gift for our mothers or someone else who fulfils this role. Brits love to treat their mums and this year, children are expected to spend over £260 million on flowers alone.
Cut flowers are clearly a popular choice for Mother’s Day gifting, but they only tend to last a week or two. Live plants however, if looked after well, can last for several years, making them the perfect gift for mums to brighten up their home or workspace, and to make working from home more pleasant.
But the benefits of gifting plants don’t stop there. Live plants can help tap into ‘biophilia’, the concept that humans have an innate need to connect with the nature, and in turn can help improve wellbeing. Plants can also reduce stress and anxiety and in some cases, purify the air. This combined with their natural beauty, long life and low maintenance makes a live plant the perfect addition to a loved one’s life.
As spring begins and the days get longer, here are six plants guaranteed to show gratitude to their recipient, whoever that may be this Mothering Sunday:
- Anthuriums:With their heart shaped flowers which come in shades of red, pink or white, Anthuriums are a great, long-lasting alternative to flowers. They are easy to care for, and will survive at any level of indirect light, making them a perfect way to brighten up a desk or living space.
- Lavender: Known for its calming smell, Lavender is a great plant for those in need of a moment of peace. Whilst they bloom later in the year, without flowers the plant has a rustic look and pleasant smell. Once in flower, the scent will be stronger and accompanied by bright flowers.
- Dracaena: Dracaenas name derives from the Greek word for “female dragon” making them a great gift for the strong female figure in your life. They are easy to care for, and in return they eliminate pollutants and their thin, colourful leaves look great in any space.
- Orchids: Available in a wide array of colours, there is an orchid out there for everyone’s tastes. They are best kept in moist conditions, but it is important that they are left to dry out between watering, enabling them to reward the recipient with beautiful flowers.
- Sansevieria: Nicknamed “Mother-in-law’s tongue” or “Snake plant” due to their spiky leaves, Sansevieria are a playful way to show your appreciation. These plants are capable of surviving months without water, so they make a great gift no matter how forgetful the recipient!
- Peace lily: With their beautiful white flowers, peace lilies bring serenity and calm to a space. They and are tolerant of low light and remove toxins from the air creating a nicer work environment.
Mother’s Day is a great opportunity to show your appreciation by enhancing the workspace or home of whoever you’re celebrating’s. A plant is a thoughtful gift guaranteed to remind the recipient of you throughout the year while brightening up time spent indoors. They are truly a gift that keeps on giving!